FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION
Deserving applicants prompt record number of scholarship awards by Rice Global E&C Forum
HOUSTON-Record applications from worthy students persuaded the Rice Global Engineering & Construction (E&C) Forum to award a record number of partial tuition scholarships for the 2012-2013 academic year.
“Requests for financial help from the E&C Forum nearly tripled this year, and most of the applicants were well-qualified under the rules of our scholarship program,” Martin Van Sickels, executive director of the Rice Global E&C Forum, said. “As a result, the Rice Global E&C Forum board of directors decided to increase our scholarship funding for 2012 over what had been planned.”
A dozen Rice students will receive E&C Forum partial tuition scholarships for the 2012-2013 academic year. Listed alphabetically, they are:
- Ms. Alona I. Bozhchenko, a senior in Lovett College majoring in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
- Mr. Daniel M. Campbell, a senior in Weiss College majoring in Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- Mr. Christopher Kong Ho Chan, a senior in Jones College majoring in Civil Engineering and Asian Studies with a minor in Business.
- Mr. Calvin Shubhakar Charles, a masters student majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Mr. Steven L. Chee, a senior in Sid Rich College majoring in Civil & Environmental Engineering with a minor in Mathematics.
- Ms. Lu Chen, a master’s student (with thesis) majoring in Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- Ms. Ran Chen, a junior in Martel College pursuing a double major in Civil and Environmental Engineering and Energy Policy Studies.
- Ms. Christina M. Hughes, a senior in Baker College majoring in Civil and Environmental Engineering with a minor in Energy and Water Sustainability.
- Ms. Xuening Li, a masters student in majoring in environmental engineering.
- Mr. Andrew Lo, a senior in Martel College majoring in Civil Engineering with a focus in structures and a minor in Energy and Water Sustainability.
- Mr. Christoph B. Meyer, a graduating senior in Hanszen College pursuing a masters in Civil and Environmental Engineering with a sustainability focus.
- Ms. Erin G. O’Malley, a senior in Baker College majoring in Mechanical Engineering.
The Rice Global E&C Forum awards partial tuition scholarships each spring, with priority given to School of Engineering professional masters or terminal research masters students interested in the engineering and construction industry or in careers in companies and industries that employ E&C companies. The E&C industry historically has hired graduates of chemical, civil/environmental, electrical and mechanical engineering programs at Rice. The E&C Forum’s scholarships are open to students of all disciplines in the School of Engineering at Rice.
To view more complete information about this year’s scholarship recipients, please visit: http://www.forum.rice.edu/sponsorships/scholarships/
EDITORS: The Rice Global E&C Forum is a voluntary academic-industry organization dedicated to stimulating original thinking, discussion, and resolution of the major economic, political, strategic and technological challenges and opportunities faced by global engineering and construction companies.
For further information, please contact: Tony Elam, Rice University Engineering, chair of the E&C Forum scholarship committee, at 713-348-5287;
Martin Van Sickels, E&C Forum executive director, at 281-370-0374; or A. D. Koen, E&C Forum media advisor, at 713-812-1623 (office); or by e-mail at email@example.com.
– – – E N D – – –