FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION
Excellence of SNC-Lavalin’s Cardon IV project recognized by peers
HOUSTON – Fast-track installation of a 150 million cubic foot per day (MMcfd) natural gas processing plant, which enabled early initiation of production from Perla field in Cardon IV block in the Gulf of Venezuela, has received the 2017 Award for Excellence, presented by the Rice Global Engineering & Construction Forum (RGF). Joseph Lichon, Executive Vice-President of Americas Oil & Gas at SNC-Lavalin, accepted the Award this evening at the VIP Banquet opening the RGF’s 20th annual fall conference.
Perla field–located 50 kilometers offshore Venezuela in 60 meters of water –was discovered in 2009 by a joint venture of ENI and Repsol. The licensees awarded SNC-Lavalin a fast-track contract to perform full facility design, detailed engineering, manufacturing, transportation, construction supervision, pre-commissioning, and utilities commissioning of facilities to process 150 MMcfd of Perla gas. SNC-Lavalin successfully fulfilled terms of the contract in 63 weeks; engineering and construction companies typically recommend timelines of 4-to-5 years to complete such a broad scope of work.
Strategies SNC-Lavalin drew upon to fulfill contract requirements on an expedited basis, included:
- Fabricating facility components in another country for installation in Venezuela;
- Forming a joint venture with a Venezuelan contractor to perform local construction activities, including mechanical completion, pre-commissioning, and utilities commissioning; and
- Developing a bridge of specifications that combined Repsol and ENI specifications into a set of general-use specifications that satisfied both parties.
Local jobs were created to run and operate gas plant facilities. Commissioning and start-up knowledge transferred to local workers can be applied to other projects in Venezuela, generating ongoing benefits.
“I am pleased to recognize SNC-Lavalin as the recipient of the Rice Global E&C Forum’s Award for Excellence,” said Marty Schweers, chair of the RGF board of directors. SNC-Lavalin was awarded a design-build contract for a 150MMcfd early production plant, which was required to be completed on a very aggressive schedule. Utilizing lessons learned from a previous project, implementing a standardized approach and modular construction strategy, the SNC-Lavalin team was able to design, construct, and commission the plant in a period of 63 weeks, thereby reducing costs and time to market for the client.
“The Rice Global Forum is a valuable institution across the network of engineering and construction companies and related businesses, bringing industry participants together to discuss the opportunities to improve the way we execute projects,” Lichon said. “SNC-Lavalin is deeply honored to be recognized for our project execution with this prestigious award.”
About the RGF’s Award for Excellence:
- The Award for Excellence was established in 2011 by the Rice Global E&C Forum to acknowledge an individual, group or organization for a significant event or outstanding performance in an Engineering and Construction industry-related activity. The award is presented once a year at the RGF fall conference.
- Any E&C company may nominate a candidate for the award, but all nominations must be formally submitted by a sponsoring RGF board member using the official nomination form. Non-Forum companies must submit nominations through an RGF board member.
- Categories for recognition include a notable business improvement or development, unique technical solution or innovation, project execution excellence, global growth, and young engineer programs. However, nominators may create new categories if they can provide compelling reasons.
- Members of the Award for Excellence committee evaluate nominees based upon key criteria, including: the contribution to sustaining or improving the E&C industry; for addressing an industry-wide issue or highly challenging problem; for receiving broad industry recognition for taking a major step forward; and for generating ongoing social benefits in the community.
About SNC-Lavalin: Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin’s employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power.
For more information about SNC-Lavalin please contact: Louis-Antoine Paquin at 514-393-1000 or Louisfirstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Rice Global Engineering & Construction Forum: The Rice Global E&C Forum is a voluntary academic-industry organization dedicated to stimulating original thinking, discussion, and resolution of the major economic, political, strategic and technological challenges and opportunities faced by global engineering and construction companies.
For more information about the RGF, please contact: Martin Van Sickels, RGF executive director, at 281-370-0374 or email@example.com; Marty Schweers, RGF Board of Directors chair, at 713-753-2221 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or A. D. Koen, RGF media advisor, at 713-812-1623 or email@example.com.
– – – E N D – – –